Since May 1999, the Astoria
Riverfront Trolley has been providing service with one car on an old railroad
line along city's
Columbia River frontage. Volunteers donated nearly 3,000 hours to restore the
trolley, built in 1913 by American Car Co. of St. Louis and operated until 1933
in San Antonio, Texas. The car was moved to Astoria under a long-term loan from
the San Antonio Museum of Art in exchange for the extensive restoration.
Volunteers operate the line seven days a week, noon to 7 p.m. from January through September. The rest of the year the trolley operates weekends only noon to 6 p.m. or
11 a.m. to 5 p.m. when on standard time. The trolley does not run during heavy rain and is shutdown for maintenance January through mid March, resuming operation for spring breaks for the schools.
A motor-generator set in a trailer is pushed
eastbound and pulled westbound.
The following news notes describe developments in Astoria's streetcar line:
Click below for the system's web site:
For more on the Astoria line click on: